Nutty vegan cookies
- 1x400g chickpea can
- 50g ground almonds
- 150g hemp seeds
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 100g Eat Naked Natural Peanut Butter
- Pinch of salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 125g caster sugar (superfine), plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Flaked almonds for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Line two 22cm x 33cm baking trays with parchment paper or spray on some cook ‘n bake.
- Drain the chickpeas and pour into a food processor, but reserve the chickpea water in a separate glass bowl.
- Add the almonds, hemp flour, vanilla, Eat Naked Natural Peanut Butter and salt and whizz until very smooth.
- Scrape out into a bowl and stir in the lemon zest.
- Pour the reserved water drained from the chickpeas into a large glass bowl and use an electric hand-whisk for approximately 5 minutes until it has more than doubled in size, and is white and foamy.
- Add the cream of tartar and whisk again for another minute. Slowly add the sugar, whisking until the mixture forms stiff, glossy peaks.
- Beat the baking powder into the chickpea and almond mixture then beat in one-third of the meringue. Scoop out tablespoonfuls of the mixture onto the baking trays, allowing space for the cookies to spread.
- Sprinkle the cookies generously with flaked almonds and a little extra sugar.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the trays, and then completely cool on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 4-5 days.